Tuesday, February 4, 2014

5 scenes I like!

1. There is no spoon.


Neo is taught an important lesson from an unexpected master. Now he realizes that there are no limitations, only perceived limitations created by his mind. Just as his mind creates the spoon, his mind can bend the spoon; because there is no spoon. I always liked the close up on Neo when he bends the spoon, that probably would not have looked as cool if that was a long shot.

2. a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole.



Surprise! Another scene from "The Matrix". In this scene Neo meets Morpheus, the enigmatic leader of the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar and a man described as the most dangerous human alive. Morpheus isn't a terrorist or evil man though, he is a revolutionary and devout believer of fate. He wants to open Neo's mind and eyes to reality, the real reality, not the pseudo-reality of the Matrix. This scene is awesome in so many ways. The dialogue is heavy, the scenery is lit in such a way that makes everything seem eery, which fits the emotional weight of the scene. The moment when Neo's reflection appears in Morpheus' shades always stuck out to me, I thought that was a cool way to show the character and his interest in Neo.

3. I'm going to be as forthcoming as I can, Mr. Anderson.



Wowee-zowee! Another scene from "The Matrix!" The performance from Hugo Weaving is my favorite part of this scene, he is so scary in this scene. This scene used to give me nightmares when I was a kid, and that's kind of awesome. Anyways, the shot that this scene opens with is great, that cantered overhead shot of the blank interrogation room, so spooky. The way the camera keeps cutting from the face of Agent Smith to Neo builds tension and I think really adds weight to the words being said, especially the line "One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not." The camera work makes every word spoken seem very important and makes the viewer feel a bit like Neo, trapped and surrounded, being questioned, given no real options. It really makes the scene what it is in terms of emotional conveyance.

4. I know kung fu.



No way! A scene from "The Matrix" for an unbelievable fourth time! This is a great action scene with some awesome classic Hong Kong camera work. Plenty of wide shots that let us see the two characters fight it out in the dojo. Close ups for the reactions from the rest of the crew as they watch a noob take on their captain. The close up on Morpheus as he watches Neo fly over his head is priceless, it shows how that character is so much further advanced than Neo in terms of understanding the Matrix as well as combat prowess. On a personal note, I wish I had a sweet dojo, that is all.

5. He is the One.



In a totally unforeseen turn of events, I present to you another scene from "The Matrix". In this scene Neo finally realizes that there are no limits in the Matrix and that he is the One, the person who can see and manipulate the code to whatever he desires. It always amused me how there were actual sparks flying when Neo and Trinity kiss. That zooming in close up on Agent Smith is perfect for what is happening in the story at that moment, it perfectly shows how shocked he is to be witnessing what he is. Oh man, then Neo catches those bullets with his mind and the camera zooms in on them dropping to the floor, then the camera shows a close up on his face as he starts seeing the Matrix as code, so awesome. Visually speaking I think the entire hallway, and presumably the world, breathing in and out as one with Neo was a really cool visual statement about how he the character has transcended into a God like form, at perfect harmony with the world around him. Very cool stuff. Ok kids, that's all I got. Eat your milk, drink your vegetables, stay out of school, and go watch "The Matrix".

1 comment:

  1. Love that they're all from The Matrix! I used to watch it three times a day when I was in middle school and I'm glad that I grew up to find it was appreciated by more people than just me.

    ReplyDelete